G-DF5N8YNBVV
top of page
Family Head

Popular Categories

Public Speaking Event

Politics

Image by Ibrahim Boran

Geo Economics

Image by Microsoft Copilot

Lifestyle

Image by UX Indonesia

Analysis

Image by John Salvino

Geopolitics

Urban Construction Scene

Civilizational Lens

Action Combat Scene

Defence

466e183e-c080-43d9-86ca-8ee0198036de.jfif

The Ceasefire Is Quietly Building Hamas's Next War

29 Jun 2026

Created by

The BV Team

A war that's not so much over as on hold brings a certain kind of quiet. In Gaza, that silence is filling up quickly, as the hum of workshops producing explosives can be heard, teenagers are being recruited for fighting lists and the scraping of shovels again digs into re-opened tunnels that the Israeli army spent two years trying to collapse. Senior officers from Military Intelligence and Southern Command last week went to the office of the army chief, Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir, with a message without any diplomatic verbiage: The organization Israel claims it had broken up is getting back up to fight again.


The image they reportedly painted is rich in detail and, if it's true, chilling. Hamas is estimated to be manufacturing hundreds of bombs and anti-tank missiles each month; recruiting 18-22 year old men and reinvigorating its elite “Nukhba” unit, which was responsible for the October 7, 2023 massacre. Dug underground passages, destroyed in the fighting, are being dug out again. Smuggling of drones and communications equipment is coming in from Sinai. As reported, the officers' conclusion was that no one on the ground is in any serious jeopardy of threatening Hamas, and Hamas isn't planning on letting go of Gaza.


The Israeli military's statement is a logical given from its own premise: "If the enemy is rearming, hit him before he is ready. Washington reportedly has declined. The Trump administration would like to leave the current situation as is, while it tends to its garden's central part, the so-called Board of Peace. But there, between what Israeli generals desire and what their American overlord will allow lies the real story, and it is not about one intelligence leak but rather a strategy of waiting that may subtly be returning the initiative to the war's instigators.


It is good to recall how we arrived where we are. In October 2025, two years nearly to the day from Hamas's cross-border attack which killed about 1,200 people in Israel and captured 251 hostages and brought them to Gaza, the guns went mostly silent. The truce was based on the 20-point American proposal, endorsed by UN Security Council Resolution 2803, which pledged a series of steps: release of hostages, Israeli phased withdrawal, Hamas disarmament, international stabilization force on the ground, tens of billions of dollars in reconstruction. The first stage has taken place. There is very little since that has.


Why? It's a chicken and egg battle neither side is willing to give up. Hamas says it won't surrender a single gun until Israel fully complies with phase one, which entails opening the borders to the Gaza Strip for aid, withdrawing forces and stopping strikes. Israel says it won't consider withdrawal or consent to rebuilding until Hamas first disarms. The man in charge of that square has been the Board of Peace's envoy Nickolay Mladenov, who has rhetorically settled the issue and has chosen the sequencing that Israel prefers. His one man, one law, one weapon approach puts disarmament as the universal prerequisite and as non-negotiable. He has gone further and indicated that if Hamas does not accept the disarmament package the board will not abide by the truce. Palestinian negotiators interpreted that as a referee slipping into the jersey of one team.


So, the plan is largely on paper. The non-electoral technocratic organ to lead Gaza, the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza, has been 'house-sitting' in a Cairo hotel for months without ever entering the Gaza it was supposed to administer. The international force was supposed to be a force that would provide demilitarisation but it has not resulted in one soldier. “No one is offering to do the dirty work of fighting Hamas on Israel's behalf,” one seasoned Israeli intelligence official told Foreign Policy. In practice, Israel has responded with a gradual, unilateral, approach: assassinate Hamas leaders, creep on its line of control, and avoid the precipice of full-scale war.


Examine the map and you'll witness that strategy. Israelites' share of Gaza was approximately 53 percent at the beginning of the truce. Today, the army claims it is in command of at least 60 per cent and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has directed the military to advance to 70 per cent and eventually to the entire strip. Hamas also continues to govern, via proxy, as it has in the past, with some sources claiming it is executing rivals and anyone it considers a collaborator. Israel has also maintained almost daily attacks, which it has presented as counter-preemptive or in response to a violation of the truce. This week, it has killed an Islamic Jihad operative it charged with participating in the October 7 kidnappings and in Deir al-Balah, Palestinian outlets reported three deaths, including that of an 8-year-old boy.


This "ceasefire" is man's own indictment of the word. Since the shooting was allegedly over, over a thousand Palestinians have been killed according to the Gaza's Hamas-run health ministry, which does not distinguish between fighters and civilians. Five Israeli soldiers have been killed in the same area. A truce that yields such results is not peace, it's war being conducted at a lesser volume, with the diplomatic machinery used to mask the bombing and rearming.


That's where a pragmatic, realistic assessment of the situation is valuable, one that is not besotted with the prospect of a pure military solution or the prospect of a self-enforcing agreement. Drift isn't neutral. The "same old, same old" that Washington wishes to maintain is not a "pause button," it's a policy and one that is convenient for Hamas. The group produces more ordnance, trains more recruits and digs more tunnel each month it is left alone. The own analysis of Israel has warned so. The Institute for National Security Studies recently outlined three options full implementation of the American plan and a "sham" disarmament based on Hamas' good faith; a gradual, area-by-area stabilization that could "harden" the Gaza split; and a return to war and reoccupation, which will be "expensive and ruinous.The Institute for National Security Studies recently listed three options: to fully implement the American plan and to rely on Hamas' good faith in the disarmament process; a step-by-step stabilization on an area-by-area basis, which could harden the Gaza split; and an outright return to war and reoccupation, which will be "expensive and ruinous.


That fourth, unspoken option is why a new attack is so unattractive, and why the world will continue to settle for paralysis. The amount of money involved is amazing. The UN, the European Union and the World Bank have estimated a total recovery cost for Gaza of $71.4 billion over 10 years, half of which is due in the first 18 months. The total costs of physical destruction reach $35.2 billion and costs of lost output and social damage reach $22.7 billion. Nearly 372,000 homes are destroyed or damaged, over half the hospitals are now out of action, the local economy has contracted by 84 percent and human development has been set back an estimated 77 years. Some 1.9 million people have been displaced, many more than once.


The amount of money available is nearly a joke compared to that bill. At the time of its launch, the Board of Peace gathered pledges of approximately $17 billion, $10 billion of which came from the United States, in a region that required $70 billion-plus and even those pledges were hedged. Sensibly, donors do not want to invest money in a strip that is still partly under the control of an armed group that they might use for their benefit. Mix in the murky details of how the board's money will actually be spent negotiations to deposit the money in a private bank account under the chairman's control have raised eyebrows at places such as Carnegie and the financial underpinings of peace begin to look as rickety as the political underpinings. No serious investor will build on a fault line and this Gaza is just fault lines.


For its part Israel is not the all-consuming war machine it claims to be. The nation is picking up the tab on a decade of fighting on several fronts, including a new agreement with Lebanon, which Hezbollah has already rejected, an increasingly tense confrontation with Iran that brought American and Iranian negotiators closer to talks in Qatar this week, and an economy beginning to feel the strain, evidenced by a 40 percent drop in investment in its much-celebrated health-tech sector last year. Israelis are weary and scared; in one recent poll, almost 75% declared that they are afraid of another October 7. If the government opens the way for a Gaza war with no holds barred, it will do so with a fatigued populace, an over-extended army and allies who are clearly losing patience.


There's a world-wide aspect that's concerning to everyone who's watching. But Hamas is not standing idly by while the West makes up its mind. This month, a senior delegation led by Mousa Abu Marzouk met Russian officials in Moscow to discuss the disarmament clause a reminder that if the American-led process flounders, others will not be averse to filling the void and that Gaza is a node in a larger conflict, not a standalone tragedy. Meanwhile, Arab governments privately agree that no one will be pushing hard on both Israel and Hamas as the world's focus is on Iran, while conceding the longer the freeze continues, the more difficult it will be to thaw.


Debunk the misleading narratives and one very uncomfortable truth still stands. In this battle, the safest ground is the comfortable middle a managed quiet that allows one side to replenish its arsenal as the other quietly but gradually builds its reach, while diplomats draw up roadmaps with no power to enforce them. Coping by wishing the problem away has a history, and it is October 7. The $71 billion of rubble already on the books has a track record as well, and so does the notion that a third Gaza war can be either cheap or clean. Last week, the intelligence warning that reached the chief of staff's desk was not actually a forecast on Hamas. This was a question for everyone up his pay rank: How long is a ceasefire, if you're secretly funding, on both sides, the war that follows?

bottom of page